The Littlbug Blog
Disaster preparedness is something everyone should think about. No matter where you live, you have a chance of natural disasters happening. Having a disaster kit ready to go before a natural disaster can make a huge difference. In this article, we’ll be discussing key items to consider if you live in a flood-susceptible area.
The most common cause of flooding is water due to rain that accumulates faster than soils can absorb it or rivers can carry it away. Flooding can occur because of
- prolonged rain falling over several days
- when intense rain falls over a short period of time
- when debris or ice jam causing a river or stream to overflow onto the surrounding area
Considered the most violent storms on Earth, hurricanes are more dangerous because of flooding than high winds. Also, if hurricane rains occur in an area which is already saturated with water, this drastically increases the chance of flooding—possibly across hundreds of miles inland! Just because you feel like you live far enough away from the coast doesn’t mean that you’re actually safe from the impact of a hurricane.
Be prepared! If you live in an area that’s susceptible to flooding—or even if you don’t—it’s a good idea to be prepared for the worst. Make sure you have a disaster kit prepared. An ultralight Littlbug camp stove should be a staple piece in your disaster kit. You can use it to prepare food and heat water for drinking or sanitation.
- Choose Your Fuel: Littlbug Stoves Burn Wood or Alcohol. In the case of a flood, having an alcohol burner would be a good option, since you’re less likely to find dry wood for burning.
- Nests for Easy Storage and Transport: Stoves wrap easily around a sleeping bag or other round disaster supplies.
- Easy to Assemble: If you’ve been on the move for a while, but need to settle down for a meal, Littlbug stoves are assembled quickly and easily.
- Boils Water Fast: This is an important part of a disaster kit. We all need water to stay hydrated, and if you need to move, it might not be reasonable to carry large amounts of water.
- Cools Quickly: If you need to keep moving, you don’t need to worry about waiting too long for it to cool. You’ll be able to pack up and be back on the move in no time.
- Requires No Maintenance Kits, Spare Parts, Windscreens, or Heat Exchangers: The simple and effective design of the Littlbug camp stove makes perfect for disaster kits. The four pieces fit together just right, and the pot support can adjust to be exactly the height you need.
Littlbug camp stoves are perfect for your disaster kit. They’re lightweight, take up minimal space, and boil water quickly.
For those of you in flood-susceptible areas, what else do you include in your disaster kits?
When we pack for a hiking trip to the backcountry, we’re sure to include all the necessities, while keeping our packs light. This is a great strategy to carry over to your disaster preparedness kit. Ultralight supplies make your disaster kit lighter and easier to transport if you ever need to be on the move. [...]
Backpacking is, without a doubt, a wonderful way to keep healthy and fit while also enjoying quality adventure and fun. It provides that connection to nature that us outdoor enthusiasts crave. The peace and calming effects nature provides can be so rejuvenating and inspiring. However, one needs to be prepared for each adventure as you enter into [...]
Nothing tastes better than a great meal made in the fresh air after a day hiking, biking, paddling, or simply enjoying the outdoors. If you are looking for ideas regarding some necessary items in your backpack to help ensure a great ‘dining’ experience, you need to check out 5 of our favorites. There are so many [...]
Are you feeling the tug of Mother Nature to get outside? Are you looking to have the best experience enjoying the outdoors this year? There are many different ways to enjoy nature during every season: winter, spring, summer or fall. We also recognize there are specific items that every backpacker needs to enjoy the outdoors [...]
Getting outside, seeing beautiful landscapes has been growing in popularity. A large part of the joy of being in the wild is the solitude it offers. You may find that your favorite camping spot, hiking trail, or backcountry route are congested with others trying to enjoy the same view and solitude as you. [...]
Twig stoves are all the rage these days. My final gear recommendation is the Littlbug. It is the granddaddy of twig stoves, both because it's been around for years and because it is the biggest.Last summer, I did an eight day Quetico trip, and I did not carry an axe, saw, or gas stove, just [...]
In an era where we go camping with enough food and gear to support a delegation for weeks, the idea of survival camping may sound scary at the least.However, modern camping is always about going out there with nominal items and trying to wing it. It is an exercise, a test for our outdoor skills and an opportunity to [...]
In this collection of posts I am presenting 20 considerations that are important when choosing your wood burning backpacking camp stove and showing how these considerations are dealt with in four different stove designs available on the market today. In this post I will discuss the complexity, Leave No Trace capability, available accessories, company values, [...]
In this collection of posts I am presenting 20 considerations that are important when choosing your wood burning backpacking camp stove and showing how these considerations are dealt with in four different stove designs available on the market today. In this post I will compare the pot supports, wind and cold weather performance and the [...]