How to Prepare For and Survive a Flood
Disaster preparedness is something everyone should think about. No matter where you live, you have a chance of natural disasters happening. Having a disaster kit ready to go before a natural disaster can make a huge difference. In this article, we’ll be discussing key items to consider if you live in a flood-susceptible area.
The most common cause of flooding is water due to rain that accumulates faster than soils can absorb it or rivers can carry it away. Flooding can occur because of
- prolonged rain falling over several days
- when intense rain falls over a short period of time
- when debris or ice jam causing a river or stream to overflow onto the surrounding area
Considered the most violent storms on Earth, hurricanes are more dangerous because of flooding than high winds. Also, if hurricane rains occur in an area which is already saturated with water, this drastically increases the chance of flooding—possibly across hundreds of miles inland! Just because you feel like you live far enough away from the coast doesn’t mean that you’re actually safe from the impact of a hurricane.
Be prepared! If you live in an area that’s susceptible to flooding—or even if you don’t—it’s a good idea to be prepared for the worst. Make sure you have a disaster kit prepared. An ultralight Littlbug camp stove should be a staple piece in your disaster kit. You can use it to prepare food and heat water for drinking or sanitation.
- Choose Your Fuel: Littlbug Stoves Burn Wood or Alcohol. In the case of a flood, having an alcohol burner would be a good option, since you’re less likely to find dry wood for burning.
- Nests for Easy Storage and Transport: Stoves wrap easily around a sleeping bag or other round disaster supplies.
- Easy to Assemble: If you’ve been on the move for a while, but need to settle down for a meal, Littlbug stoves are assembled quickly and easily.
- Boils Water Fast: This is an important part of a disaster kit. We all need water to stay hydrated, and if you need to move, it might not be reasonable to carry large amounts of water.
- Cools Quickly: If you need to keep moving, you don’t need to worry about waiting too long for it to cool. You’ll be able to pack up and be back on the move in no time.
- Requires No Maintenance Kits, Spare Parts, Windscreens, or Heat Exchangers: The simple and effective design of the Littlbug camp stove makes perfect for disaster kits. The four pieces fit together just right, and the pot support can adjust to be exactly the height you need.
Littlbug camp stoves are perfect for your disaster kit. They’re lightweight, take up minimal space, and boil water quickly.
For those of you in flood-susceptible areas, what else do you include in your disaster kits?