The Littlbug Blog
Are you feeling the tug of Mother Nature to get outside? Are you looking to have the best experience enjoying the outdoors this year? There are many different ways to enjoy nature during every season: winter, spring, summer or fall. We also recognize there are specific items that every backpacker needs to enjoy the outdoors during any season, so we have taken the time to comb through just a few of our favorites to share with you. And the best part is they are all under $60! Any of these could make the perfect gift for a loved one, friend, significant other, or for yourself in order to plan that trip in the woods, camping or backpacking.
Whether you are a day hiker, a weekend backpacker, a survivalist, or more of a traditional camper, there is a lot to think about when determining what to actually pack. We’ve tried to break it down into different categories to make it easier to determine what you might want to consider when enjoying the outdoors. We focused on lightweight items to optimize all space and weight to fully outfit your backpack.
As hard as we try, we just can’t control the weather as much as we’d like to. So in those instances when Mother Nature decides to ‘rain on your parade, here are our top six items to consider packing to make sure you are still able to comfortably enjoy your adventure.
Please share any other items that you have found to be an asset in your backpacking gear or camping collection to ward off the discomfort a rainy day creates. We love to collaborate with fellow outdoor enthusiasts and value your insight as well.
Nobody enjoys cold, wet hands or feet, inside or outside. If your hands become too wet or cold it can make it difficult to set up your campsite, cook, or just sit and relax. This is why having a great pair of waterproof rain mittens can be a lifesaver!
1. Enlightened Equipment Rain Mitts: ($30) 3-layer waterproof, fully stormproof and breathable rain mittens created for those who want to pack light and go far no matter the weather. They provide both wind and rain protection in an ultralight package. Weighing in at less than an ounce, you’ll barely know they're in your pack until you need them.
Can you imagine spending a good portion of your day hiking in the mist or even a little harder rain? Maybe you had good protective rain gear to keep the rest of you dry, but what if you didn’t. Wouldn’t it be great to get to your campsite, set everything up, and reach into a dry backpack? This is why we felt it important to mention this cover because let’s say you didn’t have any rain protective gear. At least you have the assurance that your items in your backpack would be clean and dry.
2. Ultralight Pack Cover: ($50) Made with Dyneema, waterproof, and very lightweight. Works with all packs. Protect your backpack from pouring rain and muddy ground. It includes an elastic clip to secure it from storm winds.
Heads and ears staying warm are a definite must when on your outdoor adventure. If that wind is howling or if the rain starts to fall, this hat is windproof and waterproof protecting not only your head, but keeping your ears dry and warm too. Heck, even if you aren’t on an outdoor backpacking adventure, this hat is a must have for this price.
3. Randy Sun Waterproof/Windproof Beanie Hat ($24) Hand-knitted feel, completely waterproof, windproof, and breathable. This extremely versatile hat was designed for all climates and conditions. Whether you're hiking or hunting, on rainy days or winter days.
We loved this find! Breathable rain gear is hard to find and needs to be considered if your adventure takes you to a warm climate, or you are hiking some especially difficult terrain. Not only is this rain skirt breathable, but it is very durable considering the ultralight weight.
4. Ripstop By the Roll Rain Skirt: ($34) Do it Yourself Kit for making an Ultralight Rain Skirt. At just under an ounce, this is your ticket to ultralight, ventilated weather protection in the outdoors. The rain skirt is kinda like rain pants, but better. They're easier to get on/off, lighter, and much more breathable during sweaty activities like hiking.Coupled with a sheet of Dyneema Composite Fabric, it's also the most durable option for the weight.
This is a must no matter what your style of backpacking or camping! Whether Mother Nature decides to cooperate and bring you a nice sunny adventure, or open up the floodgates, this towel is sure to pay for itself the very first time you use it.
5. Dry Lite Towel: ($37) Microfiber towel with super soft ultra-suede finish. Remarkably absorbent and fast drying towel. Lighter and more compact than most on the market. Various sizes available.
Last but definitely not least, you always need a great campstove, and Littlbug is a sure answer. But what if it’s been raining for 2 days and everything is soaked? Littlbug can take care of that too! Wet wood does not slow it down significantly. When starting the fire, you should add wood in smaller amounts and at a reduced rate. Remember that when camping, the most important fire is the next one. It is prudent to keep some dry tinder with you. Or as an alternative, you could revert to using alcohol instead of wood as a backup.
6. Littlbug Stoves ($55-$57) Littlbug backpacking camp stoves are clean burning, ultra lightweight, easy to assemble & boil water fast. Just gather sticks and twigs for your stove, or use alcohol for quick & convenient heat. Leave no trace with the Littlbug Fire Bowl. The benefits are easy to see why we love our Littlbug!
- Choose Your Fuel – Littlbug Stoves Burn Wood or Alcohol
- Rugged Simplicity – Stainless Steel Construction
- Stable – Unique Pot Supports Provide a Versatile Cooking Platform
- Nests for Easy Storage and Transport – Wraps Around a Sleeping Pad
- Easy to Assemble
- Boils Water Fast
- Cools Quickly
- Requires No Maintenance Kits, Spare Parts, Windscreens, or Heat Exchangers
- Plus lots of fun accessories to choose from too!
The holidays can be stressful trying to find the perfect gift for the outdoor enthusiast in your life. Whether you’re looking for a gift for an adventurous car camper to an ounce counting thru hiker, Littlbug stoves and accessories hold the key to a one stop, stress free shopping season. Cozy Comforts: Car camping [...]
Ladies, we all know the struggle of doing our business in the backcountry. Whether popping a squat, dealing with our monthly cycle, or keeping infections “down there” away, it can be intimidating wandering into the backcountry and trying to figure out the best way to manage when “nature calls”. It may even keep [...]
We’re serious. Stop reading, and go backpacking. Well, you don’t have to backpack, but find a way to get outside and enjoy it. Why, you might ask, would we want to tear you away from our website? Because we ultimately want you to enjoy the outdoors. And you enjoying the outdoors doesn’t involve [...]
Those on the trail typically have a common goal: to enjoy being outside doing something we love. There are rules in place for trail uses to help us enjoy the trail together. Sometimes you may share the trail with single-use users, and other trails may be designated multi-use trails where you share with various [...]
When it comes to outdoor gear, there are thousands of brands and styles to choose from. If you’re trying to pick the perfect camp stove, it can be a little overwhelming. We wanted to give you the insider’s take on why we love having a wood burning camp stove. LightweightWhen traveling in the [...]
Exploring the backcountry can take a toll on your body. Whether you are on foot, bike, or boat, it takes a lot of effort and puts extra strain on your muscles. From those taking months off to explore to the weekend warriors, we want to make sure you have the best experience in [...]
We look forward to throwing a pack on, heading into the wilderness, and sleeping in the dirt during the summer. Long winters in places like northern Minnesota make the summer months even more special. But it doesn’t matter where you live. Almost everyone experiences excitement when backpacking season begins each year. [...]
Wood burning camping stoves give you the opportunity to have a lightweight, diverse option for your various traveling needs. Since they require no canister fuel, and take up minimal space, wood burning stoves allow you to have reliable gear wherever your adventurous spirit takes you. Here are five ways we love using the [...]
You have all the gear you need to head into the backcountry. But looking at all that gear laid out and the space in your backpack, is it even possible to get it all to fit? Don’t panic! With the proper gear (read about what to pack here) and a few techniques, [...]