The Littlbug Blog
Spring is just around the corner, and that makes it a great time to refresh your survival kit! (If you haven’t made a survival kit yet, check out one of our other blog posts, like How Can You Prepare for Emergency Disasters? or 72-Hour Emergency Bag to get started.)
Here’s some things to think about when going through your survival kit:
- Are you stocked up on all the basics?
- Replace anything that might be outdated
- Replenish any supplies you’ve already used
- Update the type of items in your kit
- If you’ve moved, you might need different items in your kit.
- If you previously had lower quality items, but wanted to upgrade your kit, now could be a good time to do it.
Are your basics stocked up? Here’s a list to get you started, but there might be other things for you to include in your kit.
- Battery powered or hand crank radio (check the quality of batteries, if applicable)
- Flashlight (check the quality of batteries)
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries (check these to make sure they still work, depending on how long you’ve had them)
- Whistle to signal for help
What should you replace? Some things you might not expect expire after a certain amount of time. Look into the shelf life of your specific items to make sure they’re still good to keep in your kit.
- Food packs
- Water pouches
- Medical supplies
- Anything else with an expiration date
Replenish any supplies you’ve already used. Whether you’ve had to get through a disaster in the past or borrowed some supplies for one reason or another, make sure you’re fully stocked for you and anyone else in your household.
Update the type of items in your kit. Did you move in the last couple years? You might need to update the supplies in your kit. If you live in a colder climate, adding warmer clothing and emergency blankets in your kit would help you stay warm in the winter. On the other hand, if you’re in a warmer climate, your kit could benefit from clothes that protect from the sun and help you stay cool, along with solar blankets to block the sun.
Littlbug stoves can benefit any survival kit. It can help boil water, cook food, and keep you warm if you’re stuck in the cold (even the desert gets cold at night). Alcohol burners are compatible with Littlbug stoves, but if you run out of fuel or don’t keep one in your survival kit, don’t worry! You can use sticks and twigs in your Littlbug stove as well.
Benefits of Littlbug Stoves
- Choose Your Fuel – Littlbug Stoves Burn Wood or Alcohol
- Rugged Simplicity – Stainless Steel Construction
- Stable – Unique Pot Supports Provide a Versatile Cooking Platform
- Nests for Easy Storage and Transport – Wraps Around a Sleeping Pad
- Easy to Assemble
- Boils Water Fast
- Cools Quickly
- Requires No Maintenance Kits, Spare Parts, Windscreens, or Heat Exchangers
What is something you NEED in your survival kit?
ICYMI: Littlbug was featured on The Camping Show! Check it out HERE if you haven’t watched our episode yet!
We often talk about the importance of having a disaster kit prepared, but what about when you’re traveling? Specifically, what about when you’re traveling through the desert? Even a simple, well-planned kit can determine the outcome of your time in a dry wilderness. Emergency survival kits are not one-size-fits-all. Different climates require different items. Many [...]
With the recent weather events in Texas, it had us thinking about the importance of disaster preparedness and what we could share to help others overcome similar disaster emergency situations. As we have seen, after the unprecedented winter storm in Texas (and many other similar events throughout the country and world over the years), many [...]
The holidays can be stressful trying to find the perfect gift for the outdoor enthusiast in your life. Whether you’re looking for a gift for an adventurous car camper to an ounce counting thru hiker, Littlbug stoves and accessories hold the key to a one stop, stress free shopping season. Cozy Comforts: Car camping [...]
Mother Nature seems to have a mind of her own. Even when we’ve done our best to anticipate the weather, she throws us a curveball. At times they are to our benefit and sometimes not. Thankfully, in some instances modern technology like cell phones can help you stay updated on the weather [...]