- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
We want your ownership of a Littlbug stove to be as simple and hassle-free as possible. Whether you are a long-time user or still trying to decide if Littlbug is for you, our FAQ section is meant to ensure you get a comprehensive understanding of how to maximize your Littlbug. Have questions about the top-rated wood burning backpacking camp stove? Read below for tips, tricks, and insight!
- How long does it take to boil 1 quart of water?
- Can I adjust the temperature of the stove?
- Do I need a windscreen?
- There are different kinds of alcohol, which should I use?
- How good is the stove stability?
- What size pots can it handle?
- How good is the pot stability?
- What is the stove made out of?
- How long does it take to assemble?
- How easy is it to use?
- How big is it?
- How long does it take to cool down enough so I can pack it?
- Is it easy to add more wood to the stove?
- What if its been raining for 2 days and everything is soaked?
- Will it burn other solid fuels than wood?
- How well does it work in the cold?
- Can I assemble the stove wearing gloves?
- How large an impact do Littlbug stoves leave at a campsite?
- Is it safe to use when forest fire danger is high?
- Does the Littlbug stove get soot on it?
- How much does the Littlbug stove cost?
- Are accessories available for the Littlbug stove?
- Is there a guarantee on Littlbug stoves?
- Where can I buy one?
1. How long does it take to boil 1 quart of water?
|Littlbug Senior||3 to 5 minutes||4 to 6 minutes|
|Littlbug Junior||4 to 6 minutes||7 to 9 minutes|
2. Can I adjust the temperature of the stove?
Yes. When using wood, the temperature is adjusted by the amount and size of wood you put in the stove. Rapid cooling can be accomplished by sprinkling water on the wood fire. This will not harm the stove. The Littlbug Stove accommodates a wide variety of commercially available alcohol burners. See your manufacturer’s instructions to determine if the burner you are using is adjustable.
No. The firebox of the Littlbug stove functions as a windscreen. Depending on wind direction, you can rotate the stove to optimize operation.
4. There are different kinds of alcohol, which should I use?
Denatured alcohol is recommended.
5. How good is the stove stability?
It is excellent. The base of the Senior Stove is approximately 8" in diameter, and the Junior Stove is 5.5“.
6. What size pots can it handle?
The Littlbug stove provides a stable platform for items as small as a Sierra cup to as large as a 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven.
7. How good is the pot stability?
It is superb. The unique pot supports provide a versatile cooking platform for containers as small as a Sierra cup or as large as a 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven.
8. What is the stove made out of?
It is made out of stainless steel.
9. How long does it take to assemble?
An experienced user can assemble the stove in less than 15 seconds with or without gloves on.
It is simple. When using alcohol, just touch the top of the fuel with a flame. When using wood, light it like you would a campfire. It ignites quicker than a campfire because the Littlbug stove is a chimney.
When assembled the Senior Stove is approximately 9" tall and 8" in diameter or 450 cu in. When disassembled it reduces to 20 cu in – a 22:1 size reduction.
When assembled the Junior Stove is approximately 6” tall and 5.5” in diameter or 142 cu in. When disassembled it reduces to 14 cu in – a 10:1 size reduction.
12. How long does it take to cool down enough so I can pack it?
Less than 5 minutes after you remove the embers.
13. Is it easy to add more wood to the stove?
Yes. The pot is raised above the firebox so you can add sticks without removing the pot.
14. What if its been raining for 2 days and everything is soaked?
Wet wood does not slow the Littlbug stove down significantly. When starting the fire, you should add wood in smaller amounts and at a reduced rate. Remember that when camping, the most important fire is the next one. It is prudent to keep some dry tinder with you.
As an alternative, you could revert to using alcohol instead of wood.
15. Will it burn other solid fuels than wood?
Yes. Other solid fuels such as dung, peat, and coal can be used.
16. How well does it work in the cold?
It works great. Wood and alcohol both burn well at subzero temperatures. The Littlbug stoves do not exhibit the irritating characteristic of sputtering and going out because of cold induced fuel pressure loss. The Littlbug stoves are safer and more efficient than a campfire for providing warmth.
17. Can I assemble the stove wearing gloves?
Yes. There are no small parts to fumble with.
18. How large an impact do Littlbug stoves leave at a campsite?
Littlbug stoves have an open bottom and will leave a burn mark on the ground. Where possible, use the stove in an established fire pit. With the optional Littlbug Fire Bowl, there is no burn mark. The folks at Littlbug encourage you to distribute the cold ashes in a manner that keeps your impact to a minimum.
For Your Consideration: Minimum impact camping is just one part of minimum impact living. On the surface, it appears that using a petroleum fuel stove leaves no trace. However, the impact of using petroleum fuel is just further back on the trail – the majority of the damage is done before the product reaches the store. Try to see beyond the store shelf when you make a purchase.
19. Is it safe to use when forest fire danger is high?
Yes. You can convert the stove to alcohol during times when wood burning is prohibited. Always practice safe fire techniques no matter what the posted fire danger. Official approval for use of a Littlbug stove is up to the discretion of the local authorities. Check it out.
20. Does the Littlbug stove get soot on it?
Yes. Soot can be wiped off the stainless steel stove with a dry cloth.
21. How much does the Littlbug stove cost?
Please visit our stoves page for current prices.
22. Are accessories available for the Littlbug stove?
Yes. You can get a Littlbug Fire Bowl with a hanging chain set, a Pot Sling for improving the performance of an alcohol burner, and Pouches to keep everything together and keep smoke residue from getting on your gear. The Fire Bowl minimizes the impact of your fire. The hanging chain set allows you to cook at a convenient height and makes the stove self-leveling. The chains are detachable so you can use the Fire Bowl by itself. These accessories are available for both the Senior and Junior stoves. Visit our store for complete details.
23. Is there a guarantee on Littlbug stoves?
Yes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with a Littlbug stove, you can return it within 45 days of the shipping date for a full refund of the purchase price.
Littlbug stoves are available at www.littlbug.com or by mail order from:
Littlbug Enterprises, Inc.
P.O. Box 1154
Bemidji, MN 56619-1154
Phone 218-209-BUGS (2847)